Dr. Marcia Anderson, vice-dean, Indigenous health, and executive director, Indigenous academic affairs, Ongomiizwin – Indigenous Institute of Health and Healing, received the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada’s 2021 Dr. Thomas Dignan Indigenous Health Award. Read more.
Dr. Meghan Azad, associate professor of pediatrics/child health and Canada Research Chair in developmental origins of chronic disease, was appointed Member of the Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists. Read more.
Dr. Ming-Ka Chan, co-director of the Office of Leadership Education, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, is the recipient of the 2021 Royal College/Associated Medical Services Donald Richards Wilson Award. Read more.
Dr. Harvey Chochinov, distinguished professor of psychiatry and CancerCare Manitoba Research Institute senior scientist, received the 2021 European Association for Palliative Care Clinical Impact Award and gave a virtual lecture at their 17th World Congress about his pioneering research work with dignity model and dignity therapy. Read more.
Dr. Heather Dean, professor emeritus of pediatrics and child health, has been awarded the 2021 J. Allyn Taylor International Prize in Medicine. Read more.
Dr. Britt Drögemöller, assistant professor of biochemistry and medical genetics, and Canada Research Chair in pharmacogenomics and precision medicine, received a CIHR-ICR Early Career Investigator award in maternal, reproductive, child and youth health for Investigation of single cell gene expression changes underlying chemotherapy-induced hearing loss.
Dr. William Fleisher, professor of psychiatry, was named Manitoba Psychiatrist of the Year. He is recognized for his dedication to the wellbeing of Manitobans and a lifetime of achievement. The award includes the recognition of compassionate psychiatric care of patients and families as well as excellence in education.
Dr. Evelyn Forget, professor of community health sciences, was appointed as Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. Read more.
Dr. Keith Fowke, professor and head of the department of medical microbiology and infectious diseases, has been appointed as Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences. Read more.
Dr. Pingzhao Hu, associate professor of biochemistry and medical genetics, has received the 2021 Ed Kroeger Mentorship Award from the Health Sciences Graduate Student Association at the University of Manitoba.
Dr. Jason Kindrachuk, Canada Research Chair in molecular pathogenesis of emerging and re-emerging viruses and assistant professor of medical microbiology and infectious diseases, was a recipient of the Campbell Outreach Award. Read more.
Melanie MacKinnon, executive director, Ongomiizwin – Health Services, and head, Ongomiizwin – Indigenous Institute of Health and Healing, was a recipient of the Campbell Outreach Award. Read more.
Dr. Alyson Mahar, assistant professor of community health sciences, received an Emerging Scholar Award from the Canadian Cancer Society. Read more.
Dr. Ruth Ann Marrie, professor of internal medicine and community health sciences, has been appointed as Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences. Read more.
Dr. Joel Enock Nkosi, assistant professor of emergency and internal medicine, was the recipient of the 2020-2021 Educator of the Year Award from the internal medicine core program.
Professor Emerita Dr. Noralou P. Roos, founding director of the Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, is one of six 2022 inductees into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame. Read more.
Dr. Tanveer Sharif, assistant professor of pathology, received an Emerging Scholar Award from the Canadian Cancer Society. Read more.
The department of psychiatry has announced the recipients of its 2021 DPAP Awards (the department provides the DPAP program with funds derived from earnings of psychiatry faculty members at the University of Manitoba in support of the department’s academic mission):
- Principal investigator recipient: Bolton SL; Co-investigators/collaborators: Sareen J, Enns M, Afifi T, Mota N, Thomson J, VanTil L; Project title: Transition from service and mental and physical well-being in Canadian Forces veterans
- Principal investigator recipient: Casiano H; Co-investigators/collaborators: Hynes A, Hwang J (PGY-3 resident); Project title: Attitudes toward Forensic Psychiatry: perceptions by psychiatry residents and attending physicians
- Principal investigator recipient: Chochinov H; Co-investigators/collaborators: Bolton J, Lewis K (PGY-2 resident); Project title: Dignity Related Distress amongst Patients Requesting Medical Assistance in Dying
- Principal investigator recipient: Thorington K; Co-investigators/collaborators: Hensel J, Knight E, Poulin G; Project title: Extension of Community Health Outcome (ECHO): building primary care capacity in mental health and addictions in Manitoba
Manitoba Emergency Medicine Research Day Awards winners are:
- Dr. Stefan Cowtan – Best qualitative project
- Dr. Holly Black – Best quantitative project
- Dr. Peter Rogers – Best case report
- Dr. Alexei Berdnikov – Best knowledge synthesis project
Jayelle Friesen-Enns, Max Rady College of Medicine student, received a Canadian Medical Hall of Fame award honouring second-year medical students who demonstrate community leadership, superior communication skills and interest in advancing knowledge. Read more.
Qian Liu, a PhD student in the Dr. Pingzhao Hu lab in the department of biochemistry and medical genetics, was awarded a Canadian Statistical Science Institute (CANSSI) Ontario STAGE HostSeq Fellowship from CANSSI Ontario Strategic Training for Advanced Genetic Epidemiology Program.
Morgan Stirling, PhD trainee of Dr. Alyson Mahar, has been awarded the CBC Manitoba Proud to Shine 2021 award for outstanding community involvement of an LGBTTQ* person. Stirling also recently received a Canadian Institutes of Health Research Canada Graduate Scholarships (Doctoral) for their project Beyond the Binary: Measuring gender diversity in cancer research.
Weiang Yan, PhD student co-supervised by Dr. Sanjiv Dhingra, associate professor of physiology and pathophysiology, and Dr. Rakesh Arora, professor of surgery, anesthesia and physiology/pathophysiology, was selected as a 2021 Paul Dudley White International Scholar. Read more.
Katie Galloway and Iresha Ratnayake are the first PhD students from the department of community health sciences at the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences to be awarded Canadian Institutes of Health Research Health System Impact Fellowships. Their fellowships are jointly supported by CancerCare Manitoba Foundation and the University of Manitoba. They will assess the impact of the “CAncer PaTient Assist In Navigation (CAPTAIN) trial” at CancerCare Manitoba. Both fellows are supervised by Dr. Kathleen Decker, assistant professor of community health sciences, and Dr. Marshall Pitz, associate professor of internal medicine.
The following students in the lab of Dr. Saeid Ghavami, assistant professor of human anatomy and cell science, received awards:
- Javad Alizadeh received the 2021-2022 Dean of Graduate Studies Student Achievements Award for outstanding academic achievements, leadership, and personal service
- Navjit Singh, bachelor of science in medicine (B.Sc. (Med.) received the Outstanding Research in Oncology, Cancer Research Award and Outstanding B.Sc. (Med.) Project in Biochemistry and Medical Genetics with Commercial Application
- Courtney Clark received the 2021-2022 Master’s Award for Indigenous Students (Faculty of graduate studies) (Glioblastoma Chemo resistance)
Department of medical microbiology and infectious diseases thesis defenses:
- Anton Kowalski successfully defended his master of science thesis on Aug. 5
- Mohammad Kashem successfully defended his PhD thesis on Aug. 6
- Shelby Reimer successfully defended her master of science thesis on Aug. 9
- Matthew Klassen successfully defended his master of science thesis on Aug. 16
- Colin Graydon successfully defended his PhD thesis on Aug. 2