Dr. Zulma Rueda has joined the department of medical microbiology and infectious diseases as an associate professor and UM Canada Research Chair in Sexually Transmitted Infection – Resistance and Control. She has been working in tuberculosis and pneumonia in people living with and without HIV. Read more.
Dr. Meghan Azad, associate professor of pediatrics and child health and a UM Canada Research Chair in Developmental Origins of Chronic Disease, transitioned to deputy director of the CHILD Cohort Study on February 1, 2021.
Dr. Benjamin Collins has accepted the position of educational specialist with the Office of Educational and Faculty Development (OEFD) effective February, 2021. Ben originally joined OEFD in 2019 as the scholarship of teaching and learning developer. His background is in anthropology, with a bachelor of arts – advanced from the University of Manitoba, a master of arts from the University of Alberta, a PhD from McGill University and several years experience in undergraduate teaching at the University of Manitoba and the University of Winnipeg. Collins will bring a diverse set of skills to his role in OEFD. He will draw on this experience, as well as his research and evaluation background, in pursuing his new role focusing on assessment, evaluation and the scholarship of teaching and learning.
Dr. Rebecca Whitley has joined Kildonan Medical Centre as an attending physician.
New faculty members in the department of internal medicine:
- Dr. Thomas Fear, infectious diseases
- Dr. Steven Promislow, cardiology
- Dr. Rahul Mehta, GIM
- Dr. Joseph Peedicail, Neurology
- Dr. Brett Houston, CCMB
- Dr. Ciftci Bezya, Neurology
- Dr. Alexandra Bussieres, Endocrinology
- Dr. Mathieu Labossiere, GIM
Dr. Olga Toleva resigned from the department of internal medicine earlier this year and accepted a position in the United States.
Tanya Walsh left the Office of Educational and Faculty Development to take on a position of education coordinator with Ongomiizwin – Indigenous Institute of Health and Healing.
Helen Mawdsley left the Office of Educational and Faculty Development to join the Office of Continuing Competency and Assessment as their director of research.
Dr. Aaron Jattan was promoted from lecturer to assistant professor in the department of family medicine.
Department of internal medicine promotions to associate professor:
- Dr. Shantanu Banerji, Hematology/oncology
- Dr. Versha Banerji, Hematology/oncology
- Dr. Clara Bohm, Nephrology
- Dr. Basem Elbarouni, Cardiology
- Dr. Vallerie Gordon, Hematology/oncology
- Dr Debjani Grenier, Hematology/oncology
- Dr. Nick Hajidiacos, General internal medicine
- Dr. Jillian Horton, General internal medicine
- Dr Carmen Hurd, General internal medicine
- Dr Anita Soni, Cardiology
- Dr. Charles Penner
Department of internal medicine applicants for promotion to full professor:
- Dr. Neeloffer Mookherje, Systems biology and proteomics
- Dr. Christine Peschken, Rheumatology
- Dr. Shelley Zieroth, Cardiology